Saturday, January 14, 2006

Field work

Today is a very tiring day for me. I went alone with the local Habitat for Humanity staff into Liquica, a district (municipality) in Timor Leste. Tony Irving stayed in the apartment to finish his tons of work for the development of database software. I think Dr. Nestor Pestelos and Mr. Butch Batilong had a meeting with the World Vision officers.

This is my sixth day here in Timor Leste. Sleeping beyond midnight is a normal routine for me here. I brought the printer from the office into my room so I could print my revised survey questionnaires which is translated into Bahasa. I learn a few bahasa indonesia vocabulary in return.

I am so stressed these days. Maybe because we have tons of work. I feel like I have a fever, God forbid, it's not malaria. Anyway I feel better now after I sleep from 4:30 pm to 6:30 pm and i took a warm shower.

Mr. Butch Batilong knows how to manage his people very well. I can see the way how the local HFHI staff operates under Mr. Batilong's direction. Sensing that Tony, Sir Nestor and I are exhausted, Mr. Batilong gave us a treat to scenic view of Timor Leste. This is such a beautiful country and friendly people.

I have a feeling my inital 15 days of stay here would be extended to 3 more months because there is still so much to do here, specially in the database project.

I will also be glad to help and teach the local staff about computer maintenance and computer networking, if I have time. I think I have enough time.

No comments: